New Rule of Thumb

Sunday, February 04, 2007 | 11 comment(s)

When dining out:
  • Survey the plate of food.
  • Make as best an estimate of the carbohydrate (CHO) content as possible.

  • Then double it.
    (consider throwing a dual wave bolus in there, too).

Three-hundred-thirteen-milligrams-of-glucose-per-deciliter-of-blood-plasma three-hours-post-meal is NOT cool.

Restuarants are evil.

I've got an A1c test coming up.
I can't have crap like this popping up.

11 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so true! Where do they hide all those carbs?! It's like they soak grilled chicken in sugar water, pre-grilling.

On a slightly related note, I was at Claim Jumper getting a quick take-out salad the other day, and a waitress walked by with a plate that had various barbecued things as well as the biggest sweet potato I've ever seen, with no less than a cup of brown sugar on top of it. Daniel and I figured that one potato as about 500g carbs!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, and the calculations get really complicated when you have to double your carb estimate and then subtract some percentage of that to account for how much alcohol you're planning to drink with dinner...(let's just say my night out with friends for Cuban food and lots of sangria recently turned out a little on the low side).

Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

YEAH, where do the cooks in restaurants hide all the carbs? It is pretty easy to miss the hidden fat. And then doesn't it get you annoyed that the fun pleasure of eating out just gets so dam COMPLICATED and DIFFICILT..... Anyhow good luck on the next HbA1c.

Blogger Lyrehca said...

What'd you actually eat?

Blogger Bernard said...

Plus there's the bread they throw in for you to munch on while you're waiting for the 100g++ carb meal.

Some chains are starting to offer low carb alternatives -- though that often means high fat.

Blogger Kevin said...

Beth: I agree, it seems like meats are soaked in sugar water -- and that sweet-potato clocks in at 2000 kcal! That's an ENTIRE DAY'S worth of energy!

L: It was a brunch at a local diner/deli. I'm no connoisseur of Jewish NYC delis, but I am told by a few friends who are that this one rivals those found in the big apple.

I ordered a chorizo & egg wrap with jack cheese, salsa, and guacamole. Loaded with fat, no doubt, but the only real carb source should have been the wrap itself, which I think I estimated at 40CHO or so. And I only ate a few bites of the hash browns that came with it. But I don't recall what my estimate was for that, but it was included in my table-side calculations.

I gave a dual bolus over 2 hours. And it took approximately the same amount of insulin as I had in the bolus I gave at the table to bring my BG back down.

Thus the doubling rule of thumb. Though, honestly, I don't know that I'll have the confidence to follow through on that rule all that often.

I was just very frustrated by my inability.

Blogger ashleigh said...

that sounds about right. i ate burger king the other day because it was at the services on the road and it was late. white bread is evil. anyways, i had a whopper with cheese and fries. i took double my usual dose and i ended up with a whopper of 21.1mmol 378!

what fun. i was sure glad of the the pepsi i had saved to wash the dryness out of my mouth on the rest of the journey home.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course if you double the insulin intake because of doubling the carb estimate, then you end up fretting about the hypo potential.

I thought I did okay last night, but discovered when I got home I had come up a couple of units short of target. Oh well. It was okay. It was good to actually go out and eat like a human being. Well eat like a human being except for the fact I had to jab myself with the Novolog pen.

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Yeah - it's just crazy isn't it?!

I really struggle with getting things right when we go out to eat.

And once you start doing pretty good at things, you catch a bad rap for being so "predictable"...

I happen to like predictable when it comes to carb counts, insulin doses and blood sugars!

Blogger Shannon said...

We have a mini scale that's small enough to fit in the outer pocket of a glucose meter pouch that we bring to restaurants now.

In the past, we ALWAYS underestimated the carb count, but I think a lot of it has to do with the enormous amount of fat restaurant meals have.

Blogger Sarah said...

I always do really terribly with chinese food. It gets me every stinkin time.

Post a Comment || Go Home