The Sweets of My Success

Sunday, January 07, 2007 | 7 comment(s)

Aside from being a bad pun/reference to a 1987 Micheal J. Fox movie, the title of this post is also the (somewhat unbelievable) punchline to this little yarn I'm about to share.

Even though Meg and I were just coming down with a cold (which has since had us lying around the house with tissues up our noses, taking sick-days off from work, and watching A LOT of bad, bad cable movies for over a week now), we made plans and went out with my friend Peggy for dinner on New Year's Eve at a Cin Cin, a French-Asian-Fusion restaurant in Chestnut Hill (an old, fancy neighborhood in Philly).

While we had reservations for 8, we weren't seated until 9 (I'm not sure if they were using a French-English dictionary or a Chinese-English dictionary, but whichever it was, I don't think we were on the same page so far as what the definition of "reservation" was). They had balloons all over the place, they gave us fancy hats and noise makers, and overall it was a very feastive environment.

Caught up in the atmosphere, sated by the food and drink I'd just consumed, and without much thought, when the waiter brought us out our fortune cookies (dipped in chocholate, I might add), I quickly busted one open, popped the chocolate half in my mouth, and pulled the fortune out of the other half. But before I got to read the fortune, I noticed Megan staring at me with her jaw dropped on the table in disbelief. It didn't register immediately why she was looking at me that way.

Then she said, "I can't believe you just ate that cookie!"
"Oh, shit!"
"I wasn't even thinking!"
"After all that, and a little fortune cookie breaks your streak?!" she said.

We laughed.
Then I read my fortune, and we laughed even more:



You can't make stuff like this up.

While it's a fun little story, the sad part is that even though I avoided all cakes, cookies, and pies through the holidays, my average blood sugars bumped up from the upper 130s to the upper 160s over the past two weeks. Very disappointing. It almost seemed pointless to put myself through all that torture.

Snacking on savory things like cheese, and crackers, and nuts is still snacking and maintaining decent blood sugars with indiscriminant snacking of any variety is difficult no matter what. That, in addition to just being off my normal schedule, an overall lack of excerise, and getting sick, certainly hasn't helped matters much.

All I know is that I certainly don't feel very successful.
But we had a good laugh, and so that was nice.

7 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still, though, congratulations on a major life-change. It must be dissapointing that the numbers don't reflect your effort, but make sure to give yourself credit for what you did do... cut out sweets... cause that's HARD.

Blogger Sarah said...

Ya, the two weeks I took off from all white sugar and high fructose corn syrup, I gained 8 lbs. I gained 8 lbs because I snacked inscrupulously on pecans, cashews, and almonds. In large amounts. I stopped the no sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and instead, I limit it hugely. It has made a difference.

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

1) Those hats ROCK!

2) I laughed so hard when I read your fortune!!! You really can't make this stuff up!!

3) Kind of sucks on the BG's. Do you think there may have been anything else going on? You mentioned you were sick, etc.?

Blogger Bernard said...

That's a great picture, one to look back on in the future.

Congratulations for staying away from the sweet stuff for so long - that's amazing.

Currently I'm trying to use more exercise as a way to deal with over indulging. This week I'm going to try and reduce my grazing, especially at work. I hope I have your fortitude.

Blogger Kerri. said...

I'm digging on those fancy hats, Kevin. Looked like a nice night.

And I'm with Scott - I had a big grin when I read your fortune. :)

Blogger jill. said...

Oh man, it's a bummer to lose on a fortune cookie! Great fortune, though. Thanks for the warm DC welcome comments on my blog :)

Blogger Kassie said...

That is a terrific story. I almost don't believe it!

Chestnut Hill, eh? That would be *right next to* Flourtown, just outside the city, where I was over the holidays. Such a small world!

Post a Comment || Go Home