numero dos

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 | 6 comment(s)

On with the bad day number two.
This was on Monday, so I'll keep it short.

I had my 6 month follow-up after my laser surgery with my endocrinologist.

The first part of the exam involves a basic vision test. I've had the same glasses with the same prescription for 3 or 4 years now. At times I've been told that I could use a slightly stronger prescription, but that I probably wouldn't notice much difference. So I've never done anything about it. This time around, it was apparent that the vision in my right eye had gotten a little worse (20/25) but that my left eye remained stable (20/20) (NB: both of these were tested with glasses on).

Somewhat ironically, though, while the right eye looked beautiful on the retina-side, the left eye was not-so-hot.

I could tell right away.

The doc was all:

"Beautiful"
"This looks great"

...when he was checking out my right eye.

Then he started inspecting my left eye and he fell silent.

He said there were three new microaneurysms
Defined
Small buldges in the capillary due to a weakness in the blood vessel wall.

close
showing up smack-dab in the middle of my macula.
Defined
The central region of the retina where the primary focal vision takes place.

close


He had pictures taken so he could show me what he saw. Sure enough, there were three little dots in a nice little curve around the center of my retina.

He said these are completely new, but that there's not much to do right now.

I'll go back in six months and to check whether if they've changed.

If the microanurysms rupture, he said I may notice some distortion in the vision in my left eye or some significant floaters. If this should happen, I should come in sooner than the six month mark (ya don't say?). Otherwise they could remain stable for years or if they started to leak, may require a different type of laser treatment -- Lasers that are much finer and targeted just at these three microanurysms to seal them up.

I was so hoping for a clean report.
Ahh well, just another bump in this already bumpy road, I guess.

Tomorrow, I promise something fun to share.

6 Comment(s):

Blogger Lyrehca said...

Oy, sorry about the news. Why wouldn't he just treat the aneurysms now with the finer laser, though? Not that you want to deal with lasering again, but isn't that preferable to waiting until there's an obvious change in your vision?

Blogger Kevin said...

Thanks, L.

That's a good question. I don't know why the doc suggested the "sit-and-wait" path. My guess is that not all microaneurysms necessarily hemorrhage. I think some can actually resolve on their own or just remain stable. And I think there's a bit more risk in shooting lasers in the macula area than in the periphery.

I probably should have asked. Hopefully I'll remember to do so next time I'm there.

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Not the best news in the world, that's for sure.

I thought that I have heard in the past that major improvements in BG management can actually worsen eye stuff for a brief period before it gets better. Did the doc mention that at all? Do you think it has anything to do with it?

Blogger Shannon said...

I hope the aneurysms remain stable.

The paranoid in me would be thinking about this constantly.

It's good to see (no pun intended) that you're able to set the thoughts aside to make room for better things :)

Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Oh dang it. Another long seige of trust required here.........I have heard of cases where they disappear on their own.

Blogger art-sweet said...

crap on a stick, that sucks.

Post a Comment || Go Home