Baby Bullets

Friday, September 28, 2007 | 20 comment(s)

  • Wow!
  • We've been home from the hospital for a week now
  • In the first 48 hours after birth, they test the blood sugar for infants every 8 hours

  • The "normal" range for infant's blood sugars is 45 mg/dl - 90 mg/dl
  • Both babies hung around the mid-40s to low 50s for the first day before pushing up into the 70s once they were getting some formula in their bellies
  • They're not checking for diabetes (as a nurse kindly explained to me) because they are much too young to have an autoimmune attack kick into gear (and hopefully never will)
  • OneTouch has pulled off a mini marketing coup
  • Rather than explaining to parents that they're checking their newborn child's blood sugar, they say, we have to "do a OneTouch" every 8 hours" (and it even says this on the official medical records!)
  • The machine they used was ancient though, and took a good 45+ seconds to perform the test
  • As for me, I'm completely off my schedule
  • I rely on being on schedule to help maintain my control
  • Usually, I change my infusion sets every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings after my shower
  • I occasionally waste a little insulin this way, but to know *exactly* on schedule brings me a peace of mind that is well worth the waste
  • Now, I don't hardly know what day or hour it is, so I've been setting up my pump with the maximum amount of insulin it can hold and hoping I remember to change it in less than 4 days
  • I haven't logged my blood sugars through any of this, so I have next to no idea how well (or poorly) things are going
  • They (the doctors, the books, etc.) recommended using a log to keep track of the babies feedings/sleep/pee/poop
  • I refrained from doing this for some reason
  • I think it's because I'm a little OCD and wouldn't be able to really do it unless I designed a log myself
  • And I just don't have the time for that!
  • And besides, things have been going so well, the babies have been feeding rather well (and until recently pooping and peeing rather well -- L hasn't pooped in 24 hours, so there's a low level of concern, but E has been a monster eater and pooper)
  • Logbooks are best for debugging (at least that's my rationalization for not logging their feedings, etc. (and when I'm slacking off in logging my own blood sugars))
  • I also have been ridiculously over-treating my low blood sugars
  • A reading of 43 mg/dl is COMPLETELY different from a reading of 43 mg/dl with an infant in your arms (diabetic parents: any suggestions for dealing with this new fear?)
  • And I've found that it's increasingly difficult to distinguish between the symptoms of sleep deprivation and hypoglycemia -- not cool
  • But other than that, things are going great
  • I've been peed on, pooped on, spit-up on, I'm sleep deprived, and I've never been happier in my whole life

  • Go figure

20 Comment(s):

Blogger meanderings said...

Hee, hee - I'm still smiling! Sounds like you're a dad! You're doing great and they're beautiful children.
Colleen

Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Gosh Kev, I hope that you also are peeing and pooping on schedule.

Ooooooh the pic of them sleeping with their heads tilted toward each other is nearly gonna make me start sobbing.

Please keep putting up pics. And, I know it must be hard, but do take care of yourself.

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

That last pic is probably one of the most awesomest pics ever. Even for a guy. It just melts my masculine heart.

Blogger Unknown said...

That photo of your kids is beautiful. I am so happy for you. Don't worry--you'll get your sugar tracking back "on track" soon enough. For now, enjoy those sweet moments with your babes!

Blogger Chrissie in Belgium said...

OH KEVIN I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Keepin it short - you have other things to do!!!!!!
Take the seconds as they come......
Let D take low priority for now! SUCK UP to being HAPPY!

Blogger Lyrehca said...

Congrats--great photo. I too let the blood testing slide postpartum. I did keep Lifesavers all around the house for quick treatments whenever I needed them.

Blogger Bernard said...

Kevin

We (my wife and I) both say wow. Those look like beautiful children.

I hear what you say about 43 when you've got children. It makes all the difference in the world doesn't it.

I hope things keep going well, take care of yourself and congratulations Dad

Blogger Michko said...

Such beautiful babies! I don't really have any suggestions for being low and holding an infant. I was breastfeeding so I tended to eat all the time. My blood sugar management slacked a lot postpartum, too. My first reaction would be to say sit down somewhere or put the baby down if you can and then treat your low. And always have candy or juice handy.

Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Kevin,

That last picture is precious.

Wasn't I right about it being the most awesome experience ever? And, lucky you, you got twice the love at one time.

Blogger AmyT said...

Congratulation, Kevin. This is HUGE!

And try not to worry too much about the Big D through the first exhausting weeks there. Just do what you can.

All the best to all of you!

- AmyT

Blogger Tekakwitha said...

Kevin,

That's one of the cutest pictures. But you already knew that. :)

Congratulations

- Tek

Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Oh my word. They are gorgeous. That picture is amazing.

Re: the no pooping thing - is the formula high in iron? That can constipate a baby. The Bug didn't poop for something ridiculous like 35 days, but she was about 5 months old at the time. You might want to call the pediatrician and ask about it.

Maybe keep some glucose tabs or your treatment of choice stashed around the house or in your pockets so you don't have to worry quite so much. I know how crazy it is when one baby comes home - I can't really fathom it with two.

Blogger bethany said...

so pretty much i'm a horrible friend and it's taken me way too long to get over here and say congrats!!! they're both amazing, you guys are gonna be amazing parents!!!

Blogger Johnboy said...

Kevin, sorry I'm so late. Congrats!

Blogger Shannon said...

I am obscenely late to the party! Congratulations. They're absolutely perfectly pink and beautiful.

By now they've settled into your home and are hopefully behaving themselves :) I hope you and your wife are surviving OK.

Blogger Flmgodog said...

COngratulations on the little ones. Oh my gosh I bet you guys have your hands full, bet I also bet you are having the times of your life!!

Let us all know when you come up for a breathe of air and in the mean time keep enjoyign those kids!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been Tagged for a MeMe. Check it out

Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

OK Kevin............I saw your comment on Art's post...........how 'bout two pictures and one sentence, like, "yes we are fine but busy....". It would be nice to see the twins before their 6th birthday. hint hint......

Blogger Nursing Skills said...

i really apreciate your blog

http://nursing-skills.blogspot.com/2012_10_01_archive.html

Blogger Work SEO said...

At Bed Rock Attachments, we have the ripper fits cats including D6N Ripper, D6r Ripper and D6T Ripper Bulldozer.

Post a Comment || Go Home